|Stated Clerk Gradye Parsons' groceries for the week|
While living on a food stamp budget for just a week cannot come close to the struggles encountered by low-income families week after week and month after month, it does offer those who take the Challenge with a new perspective and greater understanding. For more resources, visit our Food Stamp Challenge page and the Presbyterian Hunger Program.
Authorization of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Stamps) is included in the Farm Bill, on which Congress is working to negotiate a final deal right now.
Write to Congress now and urge them to produce a comprehensive, fair, and faithful Farm Bill.
Members of Congress need to hear loud and wholehearted support for a program that catches people in their moments of need.
With the PC(USA)’s long-held convictions about food justice and fair food and farm policy, our interests in the Farm Bill, while very concerned with the nutrition programs, are also much broader that. In a joint statement with interfaith partners, the PC(USA) called on Congress to pass a Farm Bill that:
- Protects and strengthens programs that reduce hunger and improve nutrition in the United States.
- Promotes investments and policies that strengthen rural communities and combat rural poverty.
- Provides a fair and effective farmer safety net that allows farmers in the U.S. and around the world to earn economically sustainable livelihoods.
- Strengthens policies and programs that promote conservation and protect creation from environmental degradation.
- Protects the dignity, health, and safety, of those responsible for working the land.
- Promotes research related to alternative, clean, and renewable forms of energy that do not negatively impact food prices or the environment.
- Safeguards and improves international food aid in ways that encourage local food security and improve the nutritional quality of food aid.
In light of our experience this week with the Food Stamp / SNAP Challenge, it is essential that Members of Congress hear from Presbyterians who are concerned about hunger and food justice, at home in the U.S. and around the world.
Write to your Members of Congress here.
To read more about the PC(USA) Office of Public Witness’ advocacy around the Farm Bill and SNAP, visit our blog.